The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery (MCCB) is intended to provide a relatively brief evaluation of key cognitive domains relevant to schizophrenia and related disorders, here and was designed to address the following purposes:
- As an outcome measure for clinical trials of cognition-enhancing drugs for schizophrenia
- As an outcome measure for studies of cognitive remediation
- As a measure of cognitive change in repeated testing applications
- As a cognitive reference point for non-intervention studies of schizophrenia and related disorders
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Initiative, ambulance Measurement and Treatment Research to Improve Cognition in Schizophrenia (MATRICS), was designed to stimulate the development of psychopharmacological agents to improve cognition in schizophrenia. The MCCB was one deliverable from this Initiative. The selection of tests included in the MCCB involved a broad-based interdisciplinary consensus process that is described in more detail in the following articles:
- Nuechterlein, health K.H., Green, M.F., Kern, R.S., Baade, L.E., et al. The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, Part 1: Test Selection, Reliability, and Validity.
- Kern, R.S., Nuechterlein, K.H., Green, M.F., Baade, L.E., et al. The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, Part 2: Co-Norming and Standardization.
- Green, M.F., Nuechterlein, K.H., Kern, R.S., Baade, L.E., et al.
Functional Co-Primary Measures for Clinical Trials in Schizophrenia: Results From the MATRICS Psychometric and Standardization Study.
The MCCB includes ten tests that measure seven cognitive domains:
1. Speed of processing
• BACS: Symbol Coding
• Category Fluency: Animal Naming
• Trail Making Test: Part A
3. Working memory
• WMS®-III: Spatial Span
• Letter-Number Span
4. Verbal learning
5. Visual learning
6. Reasoning and problem solving
• NAB®: Mazes
7. Social cognition
• MSCEITTM: Managing Emotions
The commercial version of the MCCB is currently offered in the following languages:
? Simplified Chinese
? Traditional Chinese
? Brazilian Portuguese
? Spanish – Central and South American
? Spanish – Spain
* Translations of the MCCB (commercial and academic ) are available for the primary spoken language in the highlighted countries.